Today I’m sharing with you one of my favorite candy recipes. The lemon gives it a nice balance between sweet and sour, while the strawberry flavor stays fresh and soooo so juicy. These candies have an addictively chewy texture like Starbursts. Did I mention I also use dragon tears to get the full juicy flavor into these babies? Jk. No dragons were
harmed upset in making these candies.
This recipe is actually really easy as long as you have a candy thermometer. I know other recipes say that you can test the consistency of your candy by dropping it into ice water blah blah.
You NEED a candy thermometer. I bought mine online for like $5, so no excuses!
As for the strawberry puree, you will need to blend some strawberries and strain the pulp in order to make the puree. The leftover puree can be frozen in an ice cube tray to be used as needed.
One last thing, be sure to use metal or high heat silicone when stirring the sugar, as it will get very hot and melt any plastic.
Strawberry Lemon Chews
- 15 min
- 15 min
- Ready in:
- 30 min
- Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add all of the ingredients to a 2 qt pot. The pot has to be small enough to give the liquid enough height for an accurate thermometer reading, but large enough to let the candy boil and expand.
- Continually stirring, cook to 245°f/118°C. The syrup can easily burn, and the taste of caramel will over power the taste of the strawberry if this happens.
- As soon as the syrup reaches 245°f/118°C, take it off the heat and let it rise to 248°f/120°C. Pour in prepared pan and let cool.
- Chill for 10 minutes before cutting to keep the candy from sticking to everything.