I used to think that being pregnant meant I could eat anything I wanted, because I was going to get fat anyways. I didn’t know anything about pregnancy. I could not have been more wrong about what I could eat. Not only is there a whole list of foods that are off limits, but there’s also the guilt that comes with eating the foods I know are not good for me or the baby, but sound SO good!
Pregnant or not, we all eat foods that sound like they’re healthy just so we can enjoy something actually delicious without the guilt. Well that’s what these zucchini chips are all about. I mean, it’s still like a serving of vegetables, right? Bonus points if you use coconut oil to fry these babies, because I will totally agree with you, coconut oil is so good for you! 😉
Whatever your definition of healthy is, the important thing is that these do not taste healthy. The zucchinis naturally have a slight sweetness to them that go so well with the sprinkle of salt. Plus, they have major crunch. And I don’t mean crunchy only for the 5 seconds they come straight out of the oil. I mean crisp like a brand new bag of potato chips- YUM!! Once you taste these, you’ll never go back to those “oven baked healthy fries” that look like they sat out in the rain for a day. Nope, say goodbye to that tray of sadness because these crispy zucchini chips are everything you actually want to eat.
- 15 min
- 20 min
- Ready in:
- 35 min
- Slice zucchinis as thin as possible, tossing them in flour as you go (doing this now saves you from separating all the thin slices to get flour in between each slice). Use mandolin if possible.
- Heat your oil in a 4 quart saucepan until hot. To test, sprinkle some flour in the oil. If it fizzes, the oil is hot enough to start frying.
- Fry a handful of zucchini slices at a time. As soon as you throw the zucchini in the hot oil, swish it around with a skimmer to separate the slices.
- Turn the heat up all the way.
- Fry until the zucchini until you see some pieces starting to brown. Immediately remove from oil and sprinkle with salt. Zucchini will still feel soft in the oil, but will crisp up as it cools.
- Repeat frying in batches until all the zucchini is gone.