St Patricks Day is almost here! Up until this year, I have always associated this holiday with binge drinking, irish car bombs, shots of jameson, and a hangover from hell. Well you can say I have finally learned my lesson, because this year, staying home and taking shots of chocolate mousse sound more than fine to me. We all have to grow up sometime. But just so we’re clear, not grown up to the point where we’re boring, because we’re still taking shots right?
I like serving chocolate mousse in shot glasses because although chocolate mousse has a light texture, it’s a very rich dessert. It creamy, airy, and chocolately. What more can you ask for? Oh right, mint! The mint flavor gives it that extra little something and makes it oh so addicting. Plus it’s St. Patty’s Day, so why not?
6 3/4 oz (191g) milk chocolate
6 oz (170g) dark chocolate
2 large egg yolks
2 tbsp (25g) sugar
1/2c (130g) whole milk
2/3c (150g) heavy cream
1 3/4c (400g) heavy cream, whipped
1 tsp mint extract
Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, to melt halfway. This ensure the chocolate will be lump free when the anglaise is poured over and mixed.
Whip the 1 3/4c heavy cream and mint extract to medium peaks.
Add egg yolks, sugar, milk, and 2/3c heavy cream in a pot. Mix well and then turn on heat. Continue stirring until mixture has thickened, and coats the back of a spoon (or spatula):
Strain over the half melted chocolate and mix until emulsified. Cool to 113-122°F to make sure it won’t deflate the whipped cream.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream and fold.
Pipe into desired cups or molds and chill to set.
Top with a bit of chantilly (whipped cream with sugar and vanilla) and a garnish of your choice. A piece of mint works well, or you can make a chocolate garnish like I did:
- 6 3/4 oz (191g) milk chocolate
- 6 oz (170g) dark chocolate
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tbsp (25g) sugar
- 1/2c (130g) whole milk
- 2/3c (150g heavy cream
- 1 3/4c (400g) heavy cream, whipped
- 1 tsp mint extract
- Melt both chocolates in microwave in 30 second increments, to melt halfway
- whip 1 3/4c heavy cream and mint extract to medium peaks
- put yolks, sugar, milk, and 2/3c heavy cream in a pot and whisk well
- turn heat to medium and continue to stir until thickened and coats the back of a spoon
- strain over chocolate and mix until emulsified
- cool to 113-122°F
- mix 1/3 of the whipped cream into the chocolate
- fold the chocolate into the whipped cream
- pipe into desired cup or mold
- chill until set
- garnish with chantilly, and a piece of mint, or a chocolate decor.